Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So It Goes...

So, my lovely 2 year old Dell decided to conk out on me (permanently, I think) on Saturday morning. Something about a hard disk error. Yeah. Not good. Basically, every time I launch it, it either gives me the hard disk error, or if it does magically start to load Windows XP, it crashes in the middle of it with this error that takes a lot of words to say...something is wrong with my hard drive. In case you're wondering, I'm writing this from one of the computers in the business center in my apartment building. I guess that's what my premium rent gets me. I'm not complaining. And while I'm on the subject on my apartment building, let me take a minute to rave about the things I've discovered that make me love this building. Ok, so it's considered a "luxury" apartment building (which after my summer, if there's one thing I realize, it's that apparently you can turn almost anything into a luxury). As such, it has typical luxury amenities: a community/event space, heated indoor parking (my favorite), a pool, a fitness center, a business center, a sauna, a whirlpool/jacuzzi....yeah yeah. But it's the little things that have really made me happy. Like the on site car wash station (ie. a fancy station with a water hose) complete with a vacuum, and air pump. Nice. Came in real handy when my car arrived looking like it had been through a dust storm. And the other day when I was doing my laundry, I discovered an ice machine in the laundry room. Not that I don't have a fridge with ice in my apartment but hey, if I'm having an event and don't feel like going upstairs for ice - the laundry room is an option. My other favorite laundry room perks are the popcorn machine which depending on the time of day, may have fresh popped popcorn. And the vending machines. Also, just about any newspaper I could want (the two major local papers, the NY Times, USA Today, and several others) is available in the lobby, so I don't even have to go outside to ge the Sunday paper. I think I'm in love.
Ok, so enough about the building. My weekend was interesting. I was supposed to go out Friday night with the girl I met at the AABU meeting a week or so back but she never called me back (I found out this morning she "accidentally" gave me her work # instead of her cell #....hmmmm, sound shady to you too???....I won't take it personal since she sent me a big apology email this morning with the right # telling me to call anytime). Saturday, I found my way to Staples which is about a 15 minute drive away on Highway 394 (a new highway for me!) and it turns out there was a Bed, Bath and Beyond, and a Cost Plus World Market in the same shopping center - so I explored both (I think I'm in love with Cost Plus - I found a really big lounge chair I want to buy for my porch but I need help getting it home - it can fit two people! Not that I'd share, lol). Then I decided I'd drive to this street called East Lake Street in Minneapolis. Since both Little Caesars and Aldi were located there, I figured it must be a main shopping street. Ummm, yeah ok. Turns out that short of the shopping center with Aldi, Little Caesars, Family Dollar, Subway and a handful of other stores, there's not much else over there. When I got there, I went into this store called Savers, which I concluded must be something like a glorified Salvation Army thrift store b/c most of the merchandise was used. Looking around at the customers, I concluded that this must qualify as the "hood". What solidified that thought was when I went into Aldi, and this guy approached me. The conversation went something like this: (HIM) "Scuse me, you from around heah?" (ME) "No" (HIM) Where you from? (ME) Ummm, (clearly not wanting to have this conversation)....New York (HIM) Oh, New York? So, like, how old is you? (No, I'm not exaggerating, this was the grammar he used) (ME, trying to contain my laughter) "How old is I? Wow, ummm.....29" (I was tempted to say "I is 29" but that would have been cruel) (HIM) "29? Wow, so like how many kids you got?" (Me, laughing hysterically) "Sorry, I don't have any kids" (HIM) "WHAT??? FOR REAL??? Wow, so can I get your number or something!" (ME, walking away still laughing hysterically) "No sweetheart, sorry" (I wanted to add "but I can give you the number for some remedial grammar classes" but again, that would have been cruel - let that be a lesson to the kids...Stay in School!!!)
Anyway, Sunday I went to church then made a run to Walgreens and Kowalskis. Kowalskis is something like a gourmet supermarket (similar to a Whole Foods but they carry your typical national brand products too). They are the first place I've been to here that has fresh asiago cheese (even Whole Foods didn't have it - I was shocked). I also got some fresh meats since I'm trying to eat healthier. I tried something called "turkey medallion" (looked like a fresh chunk of steak but it was actually turkey) and cooked it for dinner last night. It was yummy. Tonight I made Roasted Peanut thai noodles with shrimp. I bet y'all didn't know I could cook. (Actually, I had a little help from Simply Asia boxed thai meals, lol). It was good though. Ok, this business center is freezing and my fingers are getting numb so off I go. Later y'all.

2 comments:

Newjeru said...

"I is 29." LMAO I've had similar run-ins with the natives here, typically at the gas pump or drive-thru windows. I used my ATM card the other day at Wendy's and the guy saw the Rutgers Credit Union logo that is terribly faded from so much use and was like "New Brunswick?" It caught me off guard first because I was like how does he know where I'm from and then I figured it out. One of my retailers is on East Lake Street, 750 I think is the number, but it is in Wayzata. She wanted exclusivity over that town and Edina. Small world!

KSM said...

Lol, yeah for real! Apparently, Lake Street goes a long way. Although I'm sure there are several Lake streets here in the land of a gazillion lakes. I haven't been to Wayzata. Edina is on my list. I was supposed to go to the galleria mall there last weekend but was too drained after that Aldi's trip, lol.