My internet was conked out virtually all day today so I had just about given up on blogging about my last day in Milan. I spent most of the day cleaning my room and bathroom, and packing last minute items. At 6pm, I laid down, attempting to go to sleep early so that I could stay awake for the flight back to the states. But after 7 hours of sleeplessness, I decided to give this internet one last try and lo and behold, it worked (it's a bit sporadic but hopefully it will last long enough for me to get through this entry).
Well, I'm supposed to be "waking up" in an hour to get ready to journey to the airport. The obvious thought would be that my sleeplessness is due to nerves, anxiety or something like that, but I don't usually have those issues. I think my body is just "off schedule" - used to being up late and unable to fake being tired at any point before 2am.
I'm about packed - I say "about packed" b/c my suitcase isn't actually closed. I will have to sit on it in order to get it closed, so I figure before I put forth all that effort, I'll wait until the last of my belongings are in there. I did manage to fit my Italian coursebook in there, which is good news. It required removing some "non-essential" items.
Ashley had suggested we get together for aperitivo this weekend but I didn't hear from her, and I figure she might want her phone back so I emailed her about how we might make that exchange seeing as though I am leaving the country. She suggested having Rita leave the phone with Daniela (I never said goodbye to her or Simone by the way, so I will have to send them both a card in the mail). I only used the phone twice but I guess it was a nice gesture.
Milan itself is turning into a ghost town so I guess I'm leaving at the right time. Everyone is going on "holiday" for the month of August so there is very little going on. This morning when I went to take my shower, the water was lukewarm, and I almost had a fit b/c I thought the building turned off the hot water due to everyone being on "holiday" (turns out it came back on about 10 minutes later). Supposedly during August, some supermarkets only open once a week, and of course most of the stores are closed. Don't ever visit Milan (or any part of Italy for that matter) during August.
Well, I have really enjoyed my stay here in Milan and I am so glad I got the chance to get out of Milan a bit as well. I didn't get to Rome, but somehow I think that visit might be more enjoyable when I am in more of a "historical" mood (as evidenced by my trip to Florence which excluded all the historical sights). My favorite moments of the last few weeks include (in no particular order): Venice, Switzerland (and the outlets of course), the Istituto Marangoni fashion show, the Etro interview, wine tasting in Bellagio, Just Cavalli cafe, La Triennale, via Montenapoleone and the numerous shopping excursions I made in the city, crepes (with strawberries!), and fresh spinach calzones. If you missed my blogs on any of these, go back and read about them. I can't forget the London portion of my travel either - Buckingham Palace was an experience in itself (one that I don't think I will ever put myself through again, but it was priceless nonetheless). The London Bridge area with the markets and the Tate Modern also rate high on my list.
I have about a half hour left before I get ready to head on out of here so I'm going to sign off. Farewell Milan, it's been an amazing experience. Like I said, I'll be back. Thank you to all of you who actually took time to read this blog and share in my journey. I hope it was fun and enjoyable for you. Who knows - maybe next time I'll be reading YOUR blog about someplace FABULOUS. I'm hoping so. Please pray for my safe return. I'll see you all in the states.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment