So this is my last weekend in Milan and I feel like I should be out exploring, running around and getting in as much as possible before I fly out on Monday, but for some reason, I've just been lounging. I got up this morning and hit the market around 10:30 but didn't get much (I didn't see much of interest, plus my suitcase has long run out of space). Afterward I stopped at Esselunga to purchase a couple of last minute items, then walked to Cadorna station to buy my ticket to the airport Monday. On the way back I stopped at Pam (the other supermarket) and bought some bread for sandwiches since I am pretty much out of food and don't feel like cooking these last two days. The rest of the day I spent packing although it's been a slow process. I'll pack about three things, then I'll get tired (or bored, I'm not sure which) and want to rest. Lol. I finally managed to get the bulk of my belongings into my suitcase and carry on bag, but I had to open up the expandable part of the suitcase. So I can pretty much guarantee I'll have to pay a fee at the airport for overweight baggage.
Around 7pm, I decided I wanted one last calzone from the best Calzone place I've been to in Milan - the restaurant right on the corner (they say the best things are sometimes right in your own backyard - who knew?). When I walked in the workers were sitting down eating dinner so I apologized for interrupting and said I would come back. The guy who took our order the last time was there and he told me to stay. He took me to the smaller dining room and sat me at a table, and told me to wait 5 minutes and they would take my order. He brought me a newspaper and a glass of champagne to entertain me while I waited. How sweet. These are the moments I will miss about Milan. I sat there and attempted to read the newspaper (which was in Italian of course so I got to practice reading Italian - it confirmed that I've actually learned a bit of Italian here in Milan). True to his promise, roughly 5 minutes later (it was probably closer to 10 minutes but that's good for Italians), he came back and took my order. Of course I ordered a spinach calzone. It's my favorite (if you haven't figured that out by now). This one was even better than the last b/c the top wasn't burnt. It tasted so perfect - the crust was nice and soft, but cooked, and it had just enough cheese and spinach. Ahhhh....I will miss this. After paying and saying my goodbyes, I came back to the apartment and devoured my calzone - yeah, devoured, b/c it felt like only several minutes had passed and the next thing I knew, it was gone.
After dinner, I finished up packing the major stuff, and downloaded some music onto my iPod for the trip back to the states. I'm so glad I shipped stuff back to the states b/c there is no way I would have been able to fit all those things into my bag. I can barely fit what I have now. At the moment, everything is packed except my outfits for the next two days, toiletries and a handful of miscellaneous items (the Blood Diamonds dvd I'm about to watch tonight, my chargers, my curling iron). My Italian coursebook is the one thing I'm not sure will make it back with me. It's heavy and it's bulky and I don't see where it will fit in any of my bags, but I'm going to say a prayer that I can figure out a way to bring it back somehow. I want to keep practicing Italian, and we only got a fraction of the way through the book.
I am going to miss Milan. It's been a fun, crazy, confusing, stressful, enjoyable, hilarious, amazing journey these last six weeks. And I don't know how you all feel, but the time seems to have passed so quickly. As you can tell from my writings, the project has been both a highlight and a "low-light" (is that even a word???), but I'm very grateful to be a part of it. I couldn't have picked a more appropriate project for me given my interests. Milan itself is a beautiful city. Before I came here I was told there was nothing to do in Milan. However, if you love to shop like me (ok, I know y'all have figured that out by now), there is tons to do. And even if you don't, the city has a vibe all its own, which is very trendy and cosmopolitan but not completely urban. I will be back - I can feel it. Maybe for work, maybe for this project, or maybe for my own enjoyment but I definitely plan to return to Milan, and to Italy as a whole. I'll get off my soapbox for now, and save some for tomorrow :-) Ciao!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment