Sunday, December 7, 2008

Snowy Minneapolis

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm highly delinquent with this blog. That's because I've been trying to enjoy the last few days of warm weather in Minneapolis (and warm is relative - I'm talking positive degree weather). Lately it's been in the single digits - last night was 2 degrees, this morning was 8 degrees...you get the drift. So I'm back indoors and you can expect to hear more from me. So I've decided to post some pics of Minneapolis - some are pics of my apartment that I took when I first moved in, and there are some other more recent ones of the snow filled view of the city from my apartment. The link is at the end.
I've been pretty ok as far as things go. I could complain but I won't. I slowed down my activism on the social scene mainly due to things picking up at work and the weather turning cold. I missed the last Urban League young professional meeting but I'll be back this month. I went to a black professionals networking event on Friday, which apparently is an annual event sponsored by an alliance of black professionals organizations here in the twin cities. There were about 70 or 80 people there at its peak, but I expected to see a lot more. Still, that was impressive considering the weather outside was "blizzard conditions" as far as I'm concerned (and yes, my behind was trying to get around in the 4" heels I wore at work - clearly I didn't hear the weather report ahead of time). The event was nice though - I got to reconnect with some folks I met through the Urban League, work and other random events (yes, I've become quite the socialite...who ever would have imagined?). Due to the weather, I opted to stay in this weekend and take care of home...well, I did clean up for a little while. But then I bummed out in my bed and watched movies and pigged out on sweet and sour meatballs, sweet potato fries and salad. I tried to be productive. I really did. Actually, I did have some work to do this weekend - I have a project that I'm working on with one of the analysts on my team and I have to put together a presentation to my divisional next week. There's not a whole lot of time at work to get things done so I took some of it home this weekend so that this week won't be so hectic. I'm still waiting on a permanent assignment at work, but I don't think it's going to come until the new year. In the meantime, I'm running one of my mentor's brands which is nice. I've also been doing a lot with recruiting although that has slowed down for now - it will probably pick up again in the new year. Today, I had plans of getting out to go food shopping. But then I saw the snow coming down...again. It was looking pretty fast and furious, so I decided to wait. It looks like it has cleared up quite a bit, so I may go out in a few and attempt to brave the cold and snow. A girl's gotta eat.
I went home for Thanksgiving which was nice to get out of Minneapolis for a while. I had a really hard time getting back home that following Sunday so I've decided I'm no longer flying Delta Airlines if I can help it (yes, they delayed, then cancelled my flight, then booked me on a flight the next day...of course I wasn't having that - they ended getting me on a shuttle flight from a different airport so I could catch my connecting flight). I'm going home again for Christmas and New Years which I'm looking forward to as well. I had a couple of trips to warm weather climates planned for January and February but they've been cancelled. So I may be doing a solo trip somewhere b/c I think it's going to be quite critical that I get away at some point during the winter - if for nothing else, to remember what warm weather feels like. At the moment, I'm doing laundry and about to do some work on the computer. Oh yeah, I'm working on getting my laptop back to normal. I had the hard drive replaced and reinstalled Windows XP. I'm waiting on the Microsoft Office package I ordered on black friday to arrive so I can install that, and I have some antivirus software to install as well. The internet isn't working right now - I have to make an appointment for my building's tech folk to come check on it since I have service through the building. So hopefully I should be back in business. Ok, enough for now. Enjoy the pics. http://picasaweb.google.com/keeshaun/Minneapolis#

No comments: