Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Welcome Barack!

Wow, so what a day? Unless you've been hiding under a rock somewhere you know that today was Inauguration Day for President Barack Obama (see how that rolls off the tongue so easy??). Ok so I'm not going to blog about politics today. I just wanted to reflect on some of the many ironies of today. So, today was one of many days when I thought to myself "I love my job!!!" No, not because they pay me regularly, or because I have such great coworkers (although those are good reasons too). Rather I love my job because on monumental days like today, my team disappeared for an entire 2 hours to go to a bar/restaurant next door to have an early lunch and watch the Inauguration. Not many places will let you do that! Here, it's all a part of the culture. As I watched the ceremony and listened to the President's speech, I reflected on the irony that there I was, a black woman in the midst of my white (and one Asian) coworkers, eating at a restaurant that would never have served me - certainly not sitting with white people - not even sixty years ago. And to be sitting there listening to an Inauguration speech by a black man who had won the presidency...well, it all just seemed so unbelievable. I thought about how I myself am certainly a beneficiary of the change that has occurred in this country over the last half century, having been educated at predominantly white schools that I could never have attended years ago no matter how smart I was - simply because of the color of my skin. I reflected on the opportunities I have had in my life as a result of CHANGE in this country and I feel blessed. I think I set some pretty high goals for myself and I believe I have a lot to be proud of, but for a black person to set a goal of becoming President of the United States is pretty lofty. And for him to actually reach that goal? Well, that is such an inspiring thing to me. Let me say on this day that I am proud of Barack Obama! Now let's see if he can really turn this country around???
Now on a lighter note, do the Obamas remind anyone else of the 21st century Cosbys??? As I watched them on the television, I couldn't help but think that they are all such beautiful people. And intelligent. And well mannered (we'll excuse the little one who kept shifting in her seat throughout the ceremony). I wanted to ask "where's Theo???" Ok, I'm done clowning.
I'm not blogging long today...I just wanted to share this historic day with you all and I hope that you reflect as well on what this day means to you (I hope it means something to you regardless of your race). Many in my generation feel so far removed from the realities of segregation and slavery, but black folks must remember that so many of our ancestors died so that we could have the privileges that we have today. And Barack Obama's presidency is just a testimony to how far we have come. Signing off y'all...

2 comments:

MommieRuth said...

Keeva, just reading your post of Inauguration Day just makes my heart proud. To see all that you have become, and the sensitivity and diplomacy you have expressed (even in clowning) is a true example of the person you are. Keep blogging and sharing yourself with all of us ... and by all means, keep clowning. We all need a laugh.

Love and blessings, Mom
P.S. And do keep warm!

KSM said...

Thanks Ma!!!