Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Working It Out

Ok, I'm real sweaty and gross right now - I just came from working out at the gym in my building as part of my new workout plan that just went into effect over the weekend. My good friend Joi inspired me to "get in shape girl!" (who remembers that from back in the day???). See, my big birthday party is coming up in just over a month and it just occurred to me that it is not a good look to show up at your own party in a sexy dress with a belly that makes you look five months pregnant. Not a good look at all. The flaps in my midriff can talk y'all - so not cute. I know y'all are thinking "whatever! you're so skinny" but don't believe the hype. I cover it well :-) So today is day 3 of my workout plan. The plan is to work out every day in some capacity - either by spending at least 20 minutes in the gym, or working out "video game style" (as in the Wii Fit and Dance Dance Revolution variety). And I'm doing crunches and push ups every night and drinking a glass of grapefruit juice before I go to bed (my brother put me on to that one). So hopefully by the time I see y'all at my party (and you better be there!) I'll be looking fabulous...or at the very least nice and toned.
In other news, I got stuck in an elevator in Macys last week. No seriously. I was having lunch w/ a good girlfriend who happens to also be a new buyer and we decided to take a leisurely lunch at the Skyroom on the 12th floor of the Macys building (aka the original Marshall Fields building). On the way back however, the elevator decided it just didn't feel like moving anymore - somewhere around the 9th floor. There were about 5 of us in the elevator and we just sort of bounced up and down a few times as the elevator tried to stabilize. My friend pressed the alarm and the fire button (which did absolutely nothing by the way). We tried the door open and close button a few times and luckily the door finally opened onto the 9th floor. I got off that elevator so fast I left dust in the trails. Y'all who have known me a while know that I have been stuck in one too many elevators in my lifetime so I don't play around with that. Once, I got stuck in the elevator in Grant projects where my grandma used to live and it dropped from the 20th floor down to the first floor.....twice (I was with my dad and begged him to just take the stairs but he made me stay on for round 2!). To this day I take the stairs in my other grandma's building and she only lives on the 3rd floor. Unfortunately stairs are not an option in my current building since I live in a skyscraper on a very high floor.
This past weekend was pretty uneventful. I had dinner with the same friend from the Macys elevator incident. She lives across the street from me although it was my first time to her apartment. She had a few other friends over that I got to meet and they all went to see a french music group at the Walker arts museum. I would've gone except french is not my thing. Spanish, or even Italian maybe. But French? Nah. Instead I came home and began my workout plan. Sunday I stayed home and got my apartment in order, and worked on the party invitations.
This weekend I'm traveling to Boston for the 40th Anniversary of Af-Lat-Am, which is the black and latino organization at my high school. It should be a good time - there are a lot of folks I need to reunite with, who I haven't seen in ages (some since graduation day). I'm looking forward to it. Ok enough for now, this workout has made me sleepy.

No comments: