Happy New Year y'all (in case I haven't already wished you one). I hope you all had a great year in 2009 - and if you didn't, well there's always 2010, right? I, for one, am hopeful that 2010 will be a better year than 2009, not that 2009 was so horrible. There were some negative things that happened in 2009, but I won't dwell on them. Instead, I'll focus on all the things I accomplished during the year: I lived through my first full year as a Minnesota resident and most importantly, my first winter (cold/snowstorms and all), formed some great friendships (and revived some old ones), developed a few new hobbies (jewelry making for one), networked like crazy, became more active in my sorority, got more involved in volunteer work, I was given my own department to buy at work (after months of anxiously waiting post-training), and my business had a great year. So in 2010, I'm setting the bar even higher. One of my goals this year is to give more financially to those organizations that I really believe in. Yeah, I know...we're in a recession. But that's when it's most important to give because those organizations start seeing public and private donations decrease, yet they still have to do the work they were created to do. And at the end of the day if they don't receive funding, it's their beneficiaries who lose out. I would encourage you all as well, if you are able to donate, please do. I'm sure you each have an organization (or two) that you really support so now is a good time to reach out to them and see what they are in need of (it might not even be money).
2010 seems to be off to a good start for me. I met up with Crystal in Las Vegas, and we brought the new year in together at Prive. Vegas was a blast...we had dinner on NYE at BOA Steakhouse, which I had never heard of but Crystal recommended b/c there's one in LA also. I had a petite filet with truffle mac & cheese and creamed spinach and it was yummy. Most of the NYE parties were $200+ per ticket, and that was just for admission. We ended up partying at Prive with Jermaine Dupri because we figured the music was guaranteed to be good (plus early bird tickets for ladies were a fraction of the prices everyone else was charging). JD didn't show up until around 11:30 but once the new year came in, he started playing some good music and we had a good time. There were a couple of surprise performances by Nelly and Omarion, which were nice too. I was trying to figure out what was the last track that Nelly had out to warrant him performing ANYWHERE on NYE...but then I let it go b/c he looked scrumptious :-) (no offense Ashanti....are they even still together???). On New Years Day, we went out to the Vegas premium outlets and shopped a bit. I bought some shoes from Kenneth Cole, and some things for my sister, but otherwise I wasn't compelled to buy much. Saturday night we were considering going to Pure, but supposedly they were charging $30 minimum if you weren't on the guest list, and the wait was said to be up to 2 hours long (yeah, not my type of venue). So instead, we went to Jet, inside the Mirage, which is where we were staying. It didn't require going outside and best of all, it was free. Jet was cool overall, but their lack of seating (especially considering the heels I had on which were killing my feet after about an hour), and the fact that they hit their peak musically within the first hour of being there, meant we didn't stick around too long after that. We had a run-in with a Sigma who crossed 2007 that was Def Jam Comedy hilarious. This dude first ran up to me as if he knew me (i've never seen this dude in my life) , then kept showing up randomly and had the nerve to tell us that we should consider ourselves fortunate that he (a black man) was showing interest in us (black women)...umm, really??? When we found out he was a frat, and crossed 2007 (are you even old enough to be in a Vegas nightclub???), the jokes began. Now that I'm thinking about it, I was supposed to publish my top 10 vegas moments list - that was definitely up there. Along with the butch lesbian chick who tried to back her behind up on me as if I were a guy...um, really??? I promise, I will publish the next time I update. There were some hilarious moments to say we were only there a good two days. On Saturday, before we left, we went to In and Out Burger, which I've only been to one other time, when I was in L.A. for Miata's wedding. It was nice and fresh - can't beat that.
Since returning to Minneapolis, things have been business as usual. This past week was extremely busy, although I did manage to catch up with Erin at happy hour on Wednesday night at Palomino. I saw her briefly the day after I got back from Vegas - our friend Fabrice was in town and got everyone together for brunch in Minnetonka. It was my first time seeing him since he left in the fall to start b-school at the University of Michigan, and it was good catching up. As evidence that this town is entirely too small, about 20 people showed up that Fabrice had invited, and I knew at least half of them. Two of them were sorors and another two I know from work. There were probably another 6 or 7 that I had met at some point through Fabrice. Ridiculous.
Anyway, I sincerely hope 2010 is being kind to each of you so far, and I'll be back on the blog buzz in greater force than I was in late 2009. Later!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment