Sunday, April 12, 2009

Resurrection Sunday

Happy Easter! It's finally starting to look like spring here in the Twin Cities. It's 58 degrees here today and its supposed to be in the 60's all week. There's still a need for a jacket outside but if you're rebellious like me, you can get away with a sweater :-) I went to church at Sanctuary Covenant this morning with my former roommate (from when I lived here as an intern). She's the one who introduced me to Sanctuary, which is starting to grow on me. It was a packed house this morning. The service started out with an Easter "performance" by the children which was cute, if anything, followed by praise service. The sermon message was "You Are Not Alone" and it was based on Luke 24. There was no communion, which my friend was really surprised by, but I think they only do it on first sundays, much like my church at home in NY. I really enjoyed the service. Afterward, we met up with another work friend for brunch. A fourth coworker was supposed to come too but she woke up late and ended up having to go to a later service so she bailed on brunch. We had brunch at Spill The Wine - a wine bar here in Minneapolis that I've always wanted to try. It was a buffet brunch and the food was pretty mediocre - especially considering it cost $19 per person...a fact we didn't find out until the check came. The mimosas were good though. After brunch, I dropped my friend off, and decided to take advantage of the first bit of good weather by reading in the park across from my apartment. I was reading the first Twilight book but I finished that this week, so I took Steve Harvey's book "Act Like A Lady, Think Like a Man" which I just recently bought. It was recommended by a guy so I figure it's probably worth reading. I'm only about 30 pages in so far and it's interesting. At first I thought it was another "He's Just Not That Into You"...you know, telling you the obvious, but I've learned a few things in the first 30 pages so maybe there's some value to it. I'll let you know when I'm done. I stayed at the park about an hour - after the first 30 minutes, the pigeons started flying above me and I had to move. Then I started feeling cold (maybe I should've taken a jacket) so I came back in.
This week was pretty busy and stressful. I had a run in with my boss at work over something that was really petty, which signified our first major run in since I started in this role (about 2 months now). We managed to resolve it by Friday by just getting in a room and airing out both sides (this also happened to be right after I got my formal review...probably not a good idea to get into a blowup with your boss right before you get your review, lol). I went out Thursday night w/ one of my girlfriends that works at Medtronic. We went to a Martinis and Manicures event at the Hotel Minneapolis. It was a cute little event - for $18, you got free food, a voucher for a martini (your choice - I had a lavendar martini, it was really good), and a mini manicure (basically it included everything except cuticle clipping). Of course it was mostly women, but it was a nice, relaxing atmosphere to just lounge and chit chat. I hadn't seen my friend in a few weeks so we had a good time catching up. We were supposed to go to the Urban League Young Professionals meeting afterward but after the week I had, I just didn't have the energy. Besides, there was no topic for this month's meeting and those meetings tend to be less eventful.
I didn't do a whole lot else this weekend. Friday night I was going to go hang out with one of my other friends that lives in North Minneapolis, but then I got home and started getting comfortable. By the time they called, I was in my bed (granted, it was only about 8:30 but I told you, I had a rough week). Saturday I just made a few errands and tried to clean up around the house. I boiled the ham I am making for my own little Easter dinner and cooked it a little so all I would have to do today is finish cooking it. Last night, I finally ended up hanging out with my friend...we ended up having a movie night and watching about six episodes of Martin Lawrence's comedy show "1st Amendment". I had never even heard of the show before (my tv comes on about twice a week) but it was hilarious.
This week I don't have many plans - if this weather keeps up, I have to find me some free events to go to (with the operative word being "free" - it's a recession, y'all!). I'm still on my workout plan too although I've kinda slacked the last couple of days. I will have to do Tae-Bo today to make up for it :-)
Well, I hope you all have a great Easter holiday and remember the reason for the day!

No comments: