Sunday, April 26, 2009

30th Birthday

Ok, so first of all thank you to all of you who sent birthday wishes! Yesterday I officially turned 30, and despite the fact that I wanted nothing more than to lounge around the house and be low key, I still ended up getting out and about. So, I didn't really tell most of my friends here that it was my birthday (b/c I knew then they would plan some big birthday dinner or celebration or something, and I really wasn't in the mood to do anything within a large group - that's what the party is for, lol). Yet somehow, one of my work friends (another new Buyer that started with me) chose the date to invite a few folks over for brunch. Since I hadn't seen her in quite a while, I gave in and decided to go. Fortunately, she lives across the street from me, so it didn't require much effort (notice the theme of laziness here). About 8 of us were there, and she had made an egg bake, chicken sausage, and pop up muffins. She also had yogurt with granola and fresh berries, and mimosas (yummy). There were a couple of her friends there that I had never met but everyone else I knew including my good friend Manja (a friend I was introduced to through my former Wharton roommate) so I got to catch up with friends and get to know some new folks. Carolyn (the host) surprised me by serving me a pop up with a candle in it and they all sang happy birthday to me, which was so cute. We started chitchatting and eating, and the next thing I knew it was two and a half hours later and I was still there yapping. I finally left, and returned back to my apartment, and attempted to clean up (my apartment looked like it had been destroyed by a tornado during the week). That lasted about a half hour, then I laid down on my bed and decided to take a nap. Signs that I am getting old - I can barely get halfway through the day without needing a nap!!! My only actual birthday plans were to have dessert at The Melting Pot with two of my friends here that I've known the longest - my friend Jjais who went to Andover with me and my friend Tarnika who went to college with me. But those plans weren't until 10pm. I woke up around 6, and finished my attempt to clean my apartment and I actually made progress this time. Around 8, my friend Fabrice (one of my Medtronic friends) sent me a text asking if I was free to meet up with him and Erin (the same Medtronic friend I went to the Dakota with last week) for dinner. He's been accepted to three top business schools, and is in the process of making his decision, so he warned that there would be b-school talk. Since my dessert plans weren't until 10, I told him I could make dinner only if we met up asap. He came and picked me up and when I came outside, he got out of the car and opened the passenger door for me. I fell out laughing. He told me there was no way I was opening my own door on my birthday, lol. Hmmmm, I think I need to have a birthday more often, if that's the case. We met up with Erin at Palomino (a popular restaurant downtown) by 8:30. I hadn't eaten and I had never been to Palomino for dinner, so it was a good move (I was just planning to eat something light at home so I could have lots of room for dessert!). Erin and I split a pepperoni pizza (which was very good I might add) and Fabrice had a salad, and we just chitchatted about everything under the sun. I gave Fabrice b-school advice but he wanted to tell him where he should go, which I refused to do. I think I already know where he really wants to go but I'm waiting to see what final decision he makes. We didn't leave until 10 (despite the fact that my Melting Pot reservation was at 10...oh well). Fabrice dropped me off at The Melting Pot around 10:15 and I was the first one there, although Jjais showed up right after me. Tar showed up shortly after and we were all there and seated by 10:30. Jjais ended up having lobster since she hadn't eaten (I tasted some of it and it was very good), then we all had dessert - Disaronno Meltdown milk chocolate fondue with an extra plate of pound cake (just like how me and my friend Crystal used to do it in Philly - we would order several plates of pound cake as soon as they brought the chocolate out....and we'd still want more, lol...it's good stuff!). I think we pretty much shut The Melting Pot down b/c there were very few people there by the time we actually left. Jjais dropped me off at home and I opened Tarnika's gift (a very cute cosmetic pouch with a peace sign on it, and "designer" tissues - I didn't know such a thing existed) and thanked her for it before passing out.
So that was my birthday in a nutshell. I spent the day with my closest friends, and even got out a little (despite wanting to be a bum all day). Today, I'm still keeping it low key. I'm heading out to get groceries in a minute, then I'll be home cooking (the plan is to make tacos w/ ground turkey, and sweet and sour meatballs). I hope all is well with each of you. Here's hoping 30 is really the new 20 ;-) !!!

2 comments:

Newjeru said...

Can you please send me your meatball recipe lol. I've been looking to try one out.

KSM said...

Hahaha, jokes!