Thursday, July 9, 2009

First comes hearing loss, then comes rash

So this ear infection thing just keeps getting better. It started out as hearing loss in my left ear so the doctor prescribed me Amoxicillin, supposedly the "antibiotic of choice" for my condition. Ok, fine. The next day my hearing started to improve and by this weekend this past weekend, the only remaining symptom was the occasional pop in my left ear at random moments. I can deal with that. But the doctor explicitly told me to take all the pills until I run out (I was prescribed 2 pills, 3 times a day for 10 days - 60 pills for those who are mathematically challenged). Then two nights ago (day 7) I noticed a few bumps on my leg. I thought they were more mosquito bites from my strawberry picking trip. Then last night I noticed a lot more bumps on my thighs (imagine the horror - you know how your thighs are big as it is, which just makes it worse - it looked like a spotty mass of flesh...yuck). I didn't officially freak out until this morning at work when I looked down at my arms and noticed they were suddenly spotted with bumps that were not there when I got dressed this morning. I immediately got up, grabbed my purse and ran downstairs to the clinic at work. When I first got to work I had googled the drug and found out that a rash while on the drug is a sign of an allergic reaction, and can be deadly although often its fine but you're supposed to notify your doctor immediately. Of course I read that and thought "yeah, I'll go later". That was until I saw it spread all over my arms (apparently it spread all over my body including my face, although the bumps on my face weren't as big thankfully). The doctor confirmed I was having an allergic reaction and told me I'm allergic to penicillin (I have no idea if that's spelled right). Great. Her relief was to rub 1% cortizone cream on the rash to relieve the itch (oh yeah I failed to mention it was starting to itch in the oddest places - on the back of my hands, behind my ears, between my fingers, on my nose...very odd). She also told me to take Benadryl when I go to bed but I passed on that - I really don't like taking medicines unless absolutely necessary. I did get the Cortizone though and rubbed myself down as soon as I got home. I'm hoping the bumps go down some more by tomorrow so I don't scare anyone. The funny thing is my Sr. Buyer is the only one who seemed to notice the bumps all over my face. Just goes to show how oblivious we are sometimes. Anyway, I was instructed by the doctor to get lots of rest because I am now more susceptible to catching a cold since I came off the antibiotics. So I'm off to bed. Besides, I need to rest up so I can look fabulous when I get to LA this weekend, lol. Later!

No comments: